The Punk Revelations

Your phrases | Descriptive | And through the textured words | With beauty | You post it | And use such coloured verbs | So tell me | You think that | Maybe we've gone insane | To find a lover | And through the words of pain | We've never met

 

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

And this feeling goes on and on...

So everyone has left the Tuesday night shindig, which was originally supposed to be a lovely Summer's evening drinking session in the back patio. But of course, Melbourne weather prevailed, and the lovely warm breeze was replaced with gusto winds and scary cloud patterns.

So cut to what's really annoying me. We were watching live performances just before, care of youtube.com. After watching many classic Grammy/MTV performances, we reached a clip of Mariah Carey performing 'We Belong Together' at the 2005 MTV Movie Awards. Her performance was pretty much perfection. I remembered watching the performance when it first aired, and being amazed at the live vocal capability. There was no doubt in my mind that she was performing live vocals.

I've watched and analysed so many live performances in my time, committed them to memory, even learnt the choreography. I can mime the fuck off Christina, and can spot a mimed performance a mile away. This, I can claim, is a talent I have. Without a doubt, live performances analytically speaking, I kill 'em. Every major award show since the All Saints performing 'Lady Marmalade' at The 1998 World Music Awards, I've watched to see the quality of performances. Granted, I'm a little drunk right now, but I still know what I'm typing.

Jimi piped up with remarks about how he thought she was miming, her voice only coming through on the chorus. I love him dearly, but no. She's live. Then he cast doubt in Peta and Joey, and before I knew it, everyone was arguing with me over the fact that they thought she was miming. Imma stayed silent as she knows me and my music, and she could also see the smoke steaming from my ears. So I replayed it, gritting my teeth, and showed them her vocal faults, her facial expressions, her breaths, her physical actions...

Finally, Jimi conceded defeat. She was live. I knew she was. See for yourself.




Future reference to all... Don't mess with me when it comes to live performances. I know it's trivial, but it's me and popular culture, that is, live popular culture.

Thanks to my man, Brad, for putting up the 'banner' at the top of the page. Totally hot. And the banner's great too. ;-P *kiss*


PunkOnAir : Janet Jackson - And On And On

posted by Christopher at 2:32 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

About Me

My Photo
Name: Christopher
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

View my complete profile

Previous Posts

  • Dancin' on the floor / Feelin' the slow groove
  • ... If you're nasty ...
  • Get the point? Good. Let's dance.
  • Love Will Never Do...
  • In those arms.
  • don't stop... don't stop...
  • My Sugababe.
  • Bye-bye... Bi... Thai... whatever
  • The Black Sky Danced With Stars
  • Kill Bill

Archives

  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • May 2007

// Now if I wrote you a love note / and made you smile with every word I wrote / What would you do? //


Everybody says // Nothing comes too easy // But when you got it baby // Nothing comes too hard